Fridge is warm and freezer is cold AEG, Electrolux & Zanussi
Frost free fridge freezer not cooling in the fridge and getting warmer
Directions to help you find the fault and replacing a fridge freezer defrost heater. This video can be used on all these makes. AEG, Arthur-Martin-Elux, Electrolux, Husqvarna, John Lewis, Privileg, Rex, Rosenlew, Satrap, Zanker, Zanussi. we are working on a AEG SANTO Fridge Freezer with the fridge not cold.
Before you begin you need to find what the fault is.
- Check to see the temperature in the fridge and the freezer.
- Is the fan motor in the freezer running, (sometime the fan motor will only run with the door closed)
- Have you got any air flow to the fridge,
- Check the evaporator matrix for heavy ice build-up,
- Check that thermostats and Ntc sensors are working within their parameters,
- Meter check sensors and defrost heater also check Fridge / Freezer Overheat Protection Thermostat
To replace your defrost heater, make sure you disconnect the appliance's power supply. The easiest way to do this is to unplug the unit from the wall.
- Locate your defrost heater. It can be located behind the back panel of the freezer section or at the top. Defrost heaters are commonly located around refrigerator's evaporator coils. You will have to remove any objects that are in your way such as the contents of the freezer, freezer shelves, icemaker parts, and the inside rear, back, or bottom panel.
- The panel you need to remove may be held in place with either retainer clips or screws. Remove the screws or use a screwdriver to release the clips holding the panel in place. Some older refrigerators may require that you remove a plastic moulding before you can gain access. Exercise caution when removing the moulding as not to break plastic or heavy weight as it could be full of ice.
- Defrost heaters are available in many types: exposed metal rod, metal rod covered with aluminium tape, or a wire coil inside a glass tube. Each of these three types is tested in exactly the same way. See video on this.
- Fridge freezer defrost heater can be tested when they are disconnected you will also need to check sensors.
- In addition to the two wires, there may also be some clips or screws holding it in place. You will have to release any clips or remove any screws before the defrost heater can be removed. Take pictures of where they all come from.
- Use your multi meter tester to test the heater for continuity. Set your meter to the R X 1 scale. Place the tester's leads on one terminal each. This should produce a reading anywhere in between zero and infinity. If your multi meter produces a reading of zero, or a reading of infinity, then your defrost heater should most definitely be replaced. There are many different kinds of elements, and so it is difficult to say what exactly the reading should be for your defrost heater. But it definitely should not be zero or infinity. If it is, replace the mechanism. Always check the manufactures data
If the part is faulty, Install the new defrost heater and reconnect its wires. Replace the access panel you may have had to remove.
The workshop manual for Aeg Santo Fridge freezers