Fridge is warm and freezer is cold AEG, Electrolux & Zanussi
by Paul Charmbury / Tuesday, 03 May 2016 / Published in Fridge & Freezer
Frost free fridge freezer not cooling in the fridge and getting warmer
Directions to help you find the fault and replacing a fridge freezer defrost heater. This video can be used on all these makes. AEG, Arthur-Martin-Elux, Electrolux, Husqvarna, John Lewis, Privileg, Rex, Rosenlew, Satrap, Zanker, Zanussi. we are working on a AEG SANTO Fridge Freezer with the fridge not cold.
Before you begin you need to find what the fault is.
- Check to see the temperature in the fridge and the freezer.
- Is the fan motor in the freezer running, (sometime the fan motor will only run with the door closed)
- Have you got any air flow to the fridge,
- Check the evaporator matrix for heavy ice build-up,
- Check that thermostats and Ntc sensors are working within their parameters,
- Meter check sensors and defrost heater also check Fridge / Freezer Overheat Protection Thermostat
To replace your defrost heater, make sure you disconnect the appliance's power supply. The easiest way to do this is to unplug the unit from the wall.
- Locate your defrost heater. It can be located behind the back panel of the freezer section or at the top. Defrost heaters are commonly located around refrigerator's evaporator coils. You will have to remove any objects that are in your way such as the contents of the freezer, freezer shelves, icemaker parts, and the inside rear, back, or bottom panel.
- The panel you need to remove may be held in place with either retainer clips or screws. Remove the screws or use a screwdriver to release the clips holding the panel in place. Some older refrigerators may require that you remove a plastic moulding before you can gain access. Exercise caution when removing the moulding as not to break plastic or heavy weight as it could be full of ice.
- Defrost heaters are available in many types: exposed metal rod, metal rod covered with aluminium tape, or a wire coil inside a glass tube. Each of these three types is tested in exactly the same way. See video on this.
- Fridge freezer defrost heater can be tested when they are disconnected you will also need to check sensors.
- In addition to the two wires, there may also be some clips or screws holding it in place. You will have to release any clips or remove any screws before the defrost heater can be removed. Take pictures of where they all come from.
- Use your multi meter tester to test the heater for continuity. Set your meter to the R X 1 scale. Place the tester's leads on one terminal each. This should produce a reading anywhere in between zero and infinity. If your multi meter produces a reading of zero, or a reading of infinity, then your defrost heater should most definitely be replaced. There are many different kinds of elements, and so it is difficult to say what exactly the reading should be for your defrost heater. But it definitely should not be zero or infinity. If it is, replace the mechanism. Always check the manufactures data
If the part is faulty, Install the new defrost heater and reconnect its wires. Replace the access panel you may have had to remove.
The workshop manual for Aeg Santo Fridge freezers
Tagged under: AEG, Arthur-Martin-Elux, Electrolux, Fridge is warm, Husqvarna, John Lewis, Privileg, Rex, Rosenlew, Satrap, Zanker, Zanussi
Hello. I have an AEG Electrolux Santo fridge freezer frost-free model number N7 1840. The problem is, the fridge compartment no longer gets cold. Leading up to this, it has been making strange loud rumbling sounds. Any help you can provide will be appreciated. Thank you
Model number: Santo N71840-51
Our fridge is not running at all, and is warm. The freezer is not working as well as it should be, the motor/fan is working, our ice cream has melted.
We don’t have an instruction book to find out what has happened.
Could you advise please.
this may be a compressor problem you need to get it checked
i have an AEG Model: S 75358 KG38; Product nº: 925034048-01 that in the last 2 month got the problem where freezer works ok but fridge stoped working. In the firts 2 times i unplugged the appliance for 24 hours and it started working again normally. Now it’s the third time and i guessed it was something wrong with the defrost heater. After seeing your video i got hands to it and started to dissassemble the appliance, but now i don’t know what to do. The defrost heater as continuity(192 ohms) and the thermal switch also have continuity.
What can i do next? what part should i buy?
Hello Nelson, hello Martin, I have the same problem since quite a long time, and when the last repair was done, everything possible repaired or exchanged, it now seems to be the defrost element (heater?). This seems unavailable in South Africa, and AEG takes months…. to supply. Do you know if it is not possible to install this part from another make ? Did you get it fixed in the meantime ? If yes, maybe you can answer my question. Sorry, I cannot be of help to you, but as I have 2 identical fridges, it is ugly to buy just any other similar model fridge, next to the AEG Model.
Hi.older fridge/freezer.The fridge seems to run all the time and in the colder weather now we have ice forming at the back of the fridge.
Just wondering what setting we should have here.The setting numbers run from 1 to 7 and we are running it on 3.5.
Hi there ,I have a hotpoint ice diamond fridge freezer. cod 81779970101
the freezer is cold but the fridge is warm and not cooling.I watched your video on the thermostat change and am wondering if I change this part will I have cold beer again : )..or is it another part I need..I tested three terminals of the thermometer and the ohm meter bleeped
on the various combinations…any help appreciated thanks
Bonjour j’ai mon réfrigérateur congélateur aeg electrolux santo congélateur fonctionne mai le réfrigérateur ne fonctionne pas du givre sur l’evaporateur d’où peux venir la panne
Hi, excellent video and commentary. My AEG Santo 75388-KG has exactly the symptoms you describe, freezer is performing but a 5-7 days after a defrost the fridge compartment is at room temp. It has been emptied and is defrosting but I’m having trouble locating the parts should I need them!
Model – Santo 75388-KG
NR. PRO – 928405953-01
Serial No. – 52700010
Any advice on where to look would be appreciated.
Thank you for your generosity in sharing your expertise with the world. I can’t seem to find spare parts online for the AEG SANTO 75348-KG particularly the parts you mention that may have broken, such as the defrosting heater. I thought best ascertain their availability before calling anyone in to repair (I don’t have any of the kit and circuit testers to feel confident to do this myself). Are suppliers of such specialist spare parts only visible to trade people? Are there websites you would be able to direct me to?
It so happens we have the exact fridge freezer you demonstrated a repair on in your YouTube video, so thank you again.
All the best
I have an Electrolux ENN28600 240V with a similar configuration. I have traced a fridge not cooling problem to the defrost heater. The heater’s working fine with a resistance of 0.5KOhm. When the thermostats kick in to melt/prevent ice, the control board is clamping the voltage output through the overvoltage protector to the heater so the heater is not doing its job. I tried a replacement board but have the same problem. I’ve replaced the running cap which was out of spec by 15%, but also no joy. Now have no idea what else to test or check as there does not see to be any other components between the cap and the control board. I’m clearly missing something. Any contributions or ideas would be appreciated.