Tumble dryer not turning common faults, plus motor change on a White Knight
Tumble dryer not heating correctly
If you tumble dryer is not turning then you normally have one of four faults:
- Belt has snapped or come off (you will hear the motor running):
- Capacitor fault (You hear a faint humming noise but drum not turning)
- Something jammed on one of the fan blades:
- The motor is faulty possible bearing or windings:
This video will show you how to replace the tumble dryer motor on White Knight plus some models from & some Bosch, Caple, Crosslee, Electrolux, Kenwood, Tricity, Tricity Bendix,
if you are still having trouble please contact us using your full model number including the product number for help from Paul
Changing your Motor can keep your tumble dryer running at peak efficiency and drying correctly, plus reduce the noise if the bearings are worn in the motor.
Safety first! Unplug the machine from the electrical supply and make sure the machine has been idle long enough so that the heater has cooled down.
Tumble Dryer not turning correctly or not turning at all on White Knight & some others
if you'll tumble dryer is not rotating at all then you may have a problem with one of the following items.
- Belt has snapped or come off (you will hear the motor running) common fault normally due to overloading or worn bearings,
- Capacitor fault (You hear a faint humming noise but drum not turning) normally due to age.
- Something jammed on one of the fan blades: this could be due to poor maintenance and the Machine may just need a good service and clean,
- The motor is faulty possible bearing or windings this video will show you how to replace it.
Stip down prosses
- first, take the lid off
- You will need to remove the lower panel which covers the vent hose,
- to remove the drum you will need to remove the wiring from the back panel make sure you take some photographs as this will help you reassemble it.
- After that, you will be able to remove the back panel and then extract the old tumble motor out of the machine,
- you can then fit the new one.
- You will then be able to rebuild the machine lining the belt up on the drum correctly.
- I have also included a load of tumble dryer videos below to assist you in other repairs in the future.
Once a year vacuum the inside taking special care on the wiring, it is very important to clean all the vent tubes on a regular basis. Clean the heat exchanger (condenser dryers only)
We hope this tutorial helped you get your tumble dryer working again!